Well, March is here and has arrived "like a lion". The weather across the country has been craaaaazy!! Here's hoping you are all safe and keeping warm and that March goes out like a lamb.
Many of us have kids who come in "like a lion". You never know when you'll get the lion and when you'll get the lamb. The truth is, your child is that lamb, but something is making him/her act like a lion.
As parents, it's our job to figure out what's going on and to help them through it. Coping skills are the greatest gifts we can give our kids and one of the hardest things to teach them because many of us don't know how to cope ourselves.
Few adults learned their coping skills as kids, they had to learn as adults to figure it all out. Unfortunately, for kids who struggle, we need to give them a leg up now and not just wait for them to learn it all on their own. Yes, maturity will certainly help, but they need tools!
- Label their feelings
- Show compassion for what they are going through
- Let them know you've been there, too
- Use physical movement to release tension and anger
- Tell them how to handle this big feeling the next time (i.e., "Use your words, say 'Mommy, I'm so frustrated!'")
- Infuse your values - "We don't hit! That's not respectful."
- Help them to recover with deep breaths, a big hug, reading a book, hugging a tree, taking a walk, etc...
Wishing everyone a beautiful March!!
Wishing you balance,